Canyon Crest Parents/Guardians, Please note the following weekly announcements. SCHOOL SPELLING BEE: The school spelling bee will be this Friday, February 23rd starting at 9:00am. ...
Canyon Crest Parents/Guardians,
Please note the following announcements.
1. December Administrator Message
Welcome to December! As we enter into the most wonderful time of the year, I want to express appreciation to our students, faculty/staff, and parents for making Canyon Crest such a wonderful school. We recently received a distinguished award from US News as one of the Best Elementary Schools for 2024! This accomplishment represents our community’s dedication to student learning and growth! Thank you, thank you!
Because we care deeply about what happens every day at Canyon Crest, we are currently in the process of re-evaluating our school’s mission and vision. We have conducted a core values and brainstorming workshop with our School Leadership Team (grade level leaders) and received feedback from a parent focus group. Next, we will be working with a student focus group to get their input and ideas. If you are interested in discussing this process further or have insights to contribute, please reach out to me.
Although it is a short month of school, we still have a lot to look forward to and celebrate, including:
- Spirit Week (Dec. 11-15)
- Choir Concert (Dec. 14)
- Holiday Performances for Parents (Dec. 19)
- Holiday Class Celebrations (Dec. 20)
- Early Release at 1:50pm (Dec. 20)
- Winter Break (Dec. 21-Jan. 2)
We hope you and your family will have an enjoyable month. So much to do and so much to be grateful for.
All the best,
Dr. Sean Edwards
2. Spirit Week
Dress up days for Spirit Week
- Tuesday December 12th: Class Colors
- 5th & 6th Grade: White
- 4th Grade: Red
- 3rd Grade: Green
- 2nd, 1st, and Kindergarten: Blue
- Wednesday December 13th: Matching or Twins Day
- Thursday December 14th: Barbie Day. Dress up as Ken or Barbie, or wear all pink!
- Friday December 15th: Dress up like Santa or wear all red.
3. Supporting Positive Behavior Outcomes
At Canyon Crest, we understand the importance of supporting students’ positive behavior outcomes. To this end, we have adopted the acronym of ROAR to educate our students on some of our core behavior values – Respect, Ownership, Attitude, Responsibility. To support our ROAR efforts, we have implemented the following:
- Weekly ROAR Lessons: Teachers instruct students on ROAR expectations such as respecting others’ property, showing support to peers, how to behave on the bus, how to behave at assemblies, etc.
- ROAR Cards: When teachers see a student showing ROAR behavior, they can give the student a ROAR Card. Students with ROAR cards have a chance to win weekly prizes to reward their ROAR behavior.
- ROAR Student of the Month: Every month, teachers select a student of the month that has demonstrated exemplary ROAR behavior. These students are rewarded either in an assembly or through video announcements and receive a pizza celebration.
- ROAR Visuals: We are in the process of getting ROAR visuals (e.g., posters) put up throughout the school to remind students of our ROAR values.
To supplement and support to our ROAR efforts, some educators have expressed interest in teaching positive behavior outcomes using a district-approved curriculum, Second Step. If you are interested in learning more about Second Step or would like to come into the school to look at the curriculum, please contact our school social worker, Michael Blakey (email@example.com).
4. No PTA Meeting for December
PTA will not be meeting for the month of December.
5. Choir Concert
Our amazing choir has a performance this week on Thursday, December 14 from 6:00pm-7:00pm in the gym.
6. STEM FAIR
Reminder to all 4th, 5th, and 6th grade parents that the STEM FAIR is Friday, January 26. We are so excited to see what students have come up with! Reach out to Heather Blinzinger at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
If you have any questions, please reach out to our administrative assistant, Sheliah Saluone (email@example.com).
Follow us on Social Media
Instagram: @canyoncrest_pta and @principaledwards
Facebook: Canyon Crest Elementary